After posting yesterday’s article FamilySearch Adds New Baptisms, Marriages and Burials I have had numerous emails asking me questions regarding the new data. I spent most of yesterday going through the new data for India and found numerous new family members and I thought I would post the following observations:
- I couldn’t find any new Roman Catholic entries, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.
- The new data seems to be from the India Office Record microfilms, but has been merged with the existing IGI data (old errors included).
- On most entries only the LDS microfilm numbers were provided and no British Library microfilm number.
- The search facility is more flexible than the old one.
- Nearly all the new entries I found for my family cannot be found in the British Library indexes for the Ecclesiastical Returns.
- Burial records are included
For those of you who have found new entries in this data that don’t appear in the British Library Ecclesiastical Returns indexes, and you want to get photocopies from British Library microfilms, you might find the following tables in the FIBIwiki useful.
- Bengal Ecclesiastical Returns Index with LDS film numbers
- Bombay Ecclesiastical Returns Index with LDS film numbers
- Madras Ecclesiastical Returns Index with LDS film numbers
I now have several new leads to follow on my next visit to the British Library and I’m sure I can’t be the only one.
UPDATE: I just received an email from a FIBIS member confirming that he has found Roman Catholic entries.